Monday 21 November 2011
7:00 AM – I have breakfast in the dining hall with Kenichi and Suishin again, as on most mornings. My card is out of money so I pay [3 RMB] in cash for breakfast:
- congee with “pumpkin”
- mystery pickles
- long sesame-seed coated sticky rice (orange colored)
8:30 AM – In class I practice carving seals. There is a new woman from England in class today.
12:30 PM – I have lunch in the dining hall:
- same damn mystery meat with bones
- some kind of green stalk with carrots and chicken? or tofu strips
- chopped tomatoes with scrambled eggs
- red round candy? on a skewer
1:00 PM – Right after class I go to the window and put another $15.85 on the meal card then go to the bank to withdraw more cash. Next door at the art store I buy rice paste (jianghu) for 55 cents and then spend the afternoon in class practicing.
I have dinner in the other dining hall with two Japanese students:
- Tofu dish with mushrooms and green peppers – oily but good (see separate list of foods from menu)
In the late afternoon I call Eva to see if Wang Gongyi has arrived yet in Hangzhou.
I’m told that the colored lights high in the sky are kites.
I go in the evening to the classroom for practice.
I eat the “candy” in my room later. It turns out to be whole candy-coated crab apples.
It was a hazy morning with a sunny afternoon, chilly with smog. The temperature is 59 degrees F.