Friday 18 November 2011
7:00 AM – I have breakfast in the dining hall:
- congee with something in it
- steamed bun with green onion inside
- mystery pickles
8:30 AM – In class I practice seal cutting and seal script calligraphy.
12:30 PM – I have lunch in the dining hall with Miki, Katya, and Ansu:
- deep-fried pork?
- meat stewed (mostly bones) with seaweed (kombu) and small corn on the cob which I eat with chopsticks
- flat fish cake fritter
- flat breaded and stewed mystery meat (pork chop?)
1:30 PM – After lunch I walk to the stone market with Miki where I buy thirteen Qingtian stones for practice ($1.80 each). Then, after we return to campus she stops in at the small college store, which I had not found before. While there I buy some wheat/rice paste for use in rubbings and for some notepads with the school logo on them ($1.82) then spend the rest of the afternoon in the classroom trying out my new stone.
I have dinner in the dining hall:
- lotus root, green pepper, onion
- bamboo shoots and mystery vegetables
- celery, carrot, and potato slivers
In the evening I walk to Mingtown for some chrysanthemum tea ($3.17), use their wifi, and talk with a boy from Norway while he waits for his Chinese girlfriend.
It’s been a cloudy day with rain in the afternoon and evening. The temperature is 74 degrees F.